There I was the other day, minding my own business at the pool, watching Mitch do "skateboard" jumps off the swim team dive platforms, when suddenly I felt a pain like I'd never known and experienced. I looked over at my right hand and protruding from the flesh of skin between my thumb and index finger was a stinger. OMG. OH MY GOD. I was more stunned than anything else; shocked that after 33.5 years, a bee stung me. At least, I guess it was a bee. I never saw what attacked me so it could have been a wasp? Vince helped remove the stinger and the pain was pretty intense. Naturally the pool didn't have a first aid kit and attempted to use old scissors (yuck) to remove the remains of the stinger. What? That was no use. A spray of an anti-itch/pain medication and I was on my way. Home that is. Where I treated it with a sterile pin and peroxide since I'm a nut about treating boo boos, as you can read here.
I didn't know what to expect but I didn't expect the dull throbbing, itching, and swelling that has ensued since Saturday evening. It's just starting to go down a bit but not before I was checked out at Minute Clinic and on some steroids for the itch/swell. I've never had a bee sting nor am I allergic to anything so I am clueless when it comes to treating this and knowing what is normal. What the hell is Benadryl? Well, now I know.