Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Rhett & Scarlett

I walked into Borders about a week ago and to my astonishment (and perhaps just for me?) I see Rhett Butler's People staring right at me. I never buy books new but I had no idea this was in the works and pending publication?! Of course I snatched it. I'm nearly finished the book.

My Pop Pop introduced me to this legend when I was in 6th or 7th grade. I was young. I didn't read the whole book because it was too descriptive and over my head. I watched the movie probably 50 times in a 2 year period. I knew EVERYTHING about the movie and in 8th grade my English teacher encouraged us to push boundaries and explore theater and much to the dismay of the kids who loved the tried and true (let's diagram this sentence), I embraced the project (a little too much) and motivated a group of my friends to perform scenes from this movie. It was fun, challenging and I have to admit - I truly took on the likeness of Scarlett - a total bitch. But hey - I was 14 and I did get the play on stage in front of our whole school.

Now I have the deluxe DVD with the movie, extra features, and I saved my 8th grade GWTW scrapbook. Reading Rhett Butler's People, I'm immediately sucked into this other world again...I can't help it. I want to run out to the library and snag copies of the book and the sequel and reread them. I even searched it on You Tube because I wanted to add one of my favorite "scandalous" scenes to my myspace profile. Then I found this. For those of you out there as obsessed as me - and who will ALWAYS be obsessed - and who hated Ashley, had a love/hate relationship with our protagonist, Scarlett, and adored Rhett and desperately wanted to see them together, the love story lives on...

No comments: