This story was originally published on Rachel Furman's web site, www.rachelsguide.com. Philly residents and PW readers may know her from her Rachel's Guide newsletters, web site and her PW cover this past summer detailing her road trip in this kick ass camper. She's a Marketing and PR gal (like me) and always serving up the greatest to dos whether it's where to eat, what's opening, an art gallery, a holiday dress guide, you name it and she knows all about it. Sadly, her beloved 70s camper was recently stolen from a South Philly parking lot. Everyone keep an eye out for the Twink!
UPDATE: Channel 3 news ran this as one of their top stories on Friday night! Watch the clip here. Many thanks to CBS3 for your help in trying to find the Twink!
WHERE’S THE TWINK?
Sometime in February 2007, my beloved 1975 Airstream Argosy camper disappeared. It was earned the name of “Twink” because of its keen resemblance to a Twinkie, hence this priceless photo I took while on my road trip. The Twink has taken me many places, from mountains to desserts to beaches to cities and every wacky redneck town in between.
So imagine the horror when I drove by to check on the TWINK in the parking lot where I had parked it all year and… it wasn’t there!!! “No sweat,” I thought, “it must have been towed.” But when the police had no records of any towing or abandoned vehicle reports, the terrible truth hit me. My Twink had been stolen.
I am DEVASTATED. The TWINK means so much to me, has taken me so many places and I had pictured traveling with it for years to come. I had dreamed of making the TWINK into a career somehow - pitching some book ideas, maybe trying to get a show, a sponsorship perhaps… And now it’s gone. Someone has to know something. Please help me find the TWINK!
WHERE’S THE TWINK BEEN?
Last year I kind of lost my marbles from working too hard. I had a successful marketing company in Philly, but I really needed to get away. While some people choose a nice vacation, I decided to blow all of my money on a vintage 1975 Airstream Argosy camper, trade in my Jetta for a Ford F150 and hit the road for a few months. Here’s the story: (Philadelphia Weekly Cover Story)
Here’s a Holiday Photo Shoot We Did in It: (Rachel’s Guide Holiday Photo Shoot)
Plate # XCB9560
Title # 63036278001FU
•24’ 1975 Airstream Argosy Camper Trailer
• Beige Exterior with Orange Trim & Brown Bumper
• Large ARGOSY Logo Over Back Window
• Pimp 70’s Interior with Olive Green Countertops & “Airplane” Overhead Compartments
• Kitchen & Diner Booth that Converts into a Bed, Bedroom with Dresser, Bathroom with Shower
• Cushions are light green with pastel yellow & green stripes on some sides.
• Some Camping & Kitchen Supplies in the Cabinets
• 70’s Vintage Playboy Magazines in the Magazine Rack (essential for any road trip!)
- chipped paint over the Argosy logo on the front, top rounded part of the vehicle. The silver shows through, almost like freckles.
•Rusty step for the front door, one side of the step sometimes broken
• Broken shelf in the bathroom closet
• Couch off of the tracks when you try to convert it into a bed
• The pantry closet in the kitchen won’t stay closed
• Wax in the kitchen sink from melted candles
If seen or found, please contact your local police department and then me. You are welcome to remain anonymous.
Rachel: 215.888.8885 | email@example.com