Monday, March 17, 2008

Ultrasound

So we found out back in the fall that I'm expecting. This was a big surprise and it took a while to wrap my head around it all. Vince wanted to blab to the world...I was not ready to do so until Thanksgiving and even then things were still sinking in...amidst a sea of well meaning friends of family that suddenly had to share their opinions with me on everything from breast feeding to alcohol to painful deliveries. I wasn't even out of my first trimester.

In January we had another ultrasound and determined that our little one is a boy. I'd been having some interesting dreams about pirates and contemplating a pirate themed room so with the "It's a Boy" news, we exchanged lots of high-fives and I started a fun wall mural.

I had a little pooch for a few weeks from December into January and I finally popped in late January/early February, around the 5 month mark. The belly has been interesting to watch. I finally graduated from the demi panel to the full panel and like many aspects of the pregnancy, things that bothered me in the beginning (maternity clothes and full panel pants), I now embrace. My subconscious is clearly perplexed over the expanding region and I sort this out nightly in my head, wondering exactly how big I'll be when I deliver. I remind myself that I am 6 months along so the awkward weight of a belly and rolling out of bed and some discomfort are normal (duh). Or it's my brain's way of diverting my thoughts away from any lingering anxiety that comes with the thought of labor. Who knows.

This past Thursday we went to Innerview Ultrasound in Malvern for a 3D and 4D ultrasound. 2D is the flat black and white scan we all know and it only shows profiles or the baby from a particular angle. 3D is the full image with the depth of field. 4D is capturing the movement.

Having been pretty chill about things up until now, I was not prepared for the intense emotional experience of the ultrasound. The experience was so amazing and I can't even believe I can see his little face - it made it all much more real and exciting and now I'm like a proud mom. I watch this video like, twice a day and I can't wait until he gets here and I can hold him. I've definitely had moments of protectiveness and attachment but this solidified all those feelings. Plus just seeing this took away a lot of the lingering fears I had about labor and delivery.

Truthfully, I think he looks like Vince in these images (even a little like my dad as a child) but he's only 2.5-3 lbs. so he has time to grow still.

Check out the video here.

No comments: